First Companies’ construction sites are now open. Before reopening our construction business, we worked through a detailed safety plan and established new policies to ensure the safety and well-being of our employees as well as all those who work at, and visit, our job sites. Following is a summary of our plan which was based on current information provided by the CDC and OSHA.
Policy for all First Companies Field Offices and Construction Job sites, includes:
- Social distancing (6ft away from each other)
- Site-specific orientation meetings to be held outside. Whenever possible, communication will come through conference calls and/or video conferencing.
- Site personnel will cover coughs and sneezes with their elbow and avoid touching their faces.
- Handshakes will be avoided.
- Workers will wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and running water are not available, an alcohol-based hand rub with at least 60% alcohol will be used.
- Common surfaces in the job office will be cleaned and sanitized frequently.
- Food items and utensils will not be shared.
- Disposable products will be used whenever possible.
- Hand towels and no-touch trash receptacles will be used as much as possible.
- Office supplies will not be shared.
- Hazards will be routinely assessed to limit exposure.
- Risk and exposure will be continuously evaluated.
- All workers on site will be kept informed on the latest developments.
- Only critical deliveries and visitors are permitted to enter the job site.
- Site personnel should eat their lunch away from others to maintain social distancing with crowd size limitations followed.
- Employees should not share personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Ventilation will be increased in all work areas.
- Tools should not be shared, if possible.
- Site deliveries must be coordinated with the superintendent. Delivery personnel should remain in their vehicles whenever possible.
- Workers are encouraged to change clothes prior to arriving home and wash work clothes in hot water and a sanitizing detergent.
- Prior to the start of each workday, the crew foreman/supervisor must confirm no personnel or subcontractors show any signs of illness or have answered “Yes” to any of the assessment questions. When the assessment is complete, the foreman/supervisor must make a list of the workers’ names who have passed the assessment in a daily log.
- Anyone who believes they have been exposed to COVID-19 or is experiencing symptoms must leave the job site and seek medical attention.
- Everyone on site must wear face covering when working in enclosed spaces or when social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.
- First Companies employees are required to wear gloves while on the job site.
For individuals who exhibit COVID-19 symptoms at work:
- Separate from others immediately and send home.
- Identify and close-off any area(s) he/she may have been.
- Identify and notify anyone who may have been in close contact of the individual.
- Potentially exposed personnel may continue to work but should self-monitor for symptoms and check temperature.
Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days, he/she will be separated from others on site and sent home. Potentially exposed personally may continue to work but must self-monitor and check their temperature. These same guidelines will be followed by those with family members or other close contacts who have tested positive.
First Companies has a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for any worker showing up at a job site while they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. We all have a personal responsibility to keep ourselves and those around us safe and away from harmful exposures. We continue to monitor changing guidelines and are committed to remaining vigilant to keep our job sites safe.
Learn more about our Construction Projects in these Customer Stories:
Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery
Dermatology Associates of West Michigan
Mercy Health Physician Partners
Pediatric Dental Specialists of West Michigan
Psychology & Counseling Services
West Michigan E.N.T. & Allergy
West Michigan Eyecare Associates